Sunday, June 5, 2011

Highlight Reel

Here are some snippets from the past two weeks, which I wanted to write about individually, but haven't had the time.


·      The truck rally: the whole town and more showed up on a rainy Sunday to watch trucks racing on a mud track (the national champion of Costa Rica came and creamed everyone, of course)
·      Staying 4 nights at my host family’s home: Michell, Daniela, and I watched 2 of the Lord of the Rings movies and when I told them I had always wanted sisters, they said I could be theirs)

14-year-old Daniela on the left & 17-year-old, Michell on the right
·      Frances’ cooking (she uses all sorts of spices like curry and garlic and makes flavorful, unique dishes that waft up the stairs and settle in our nostrils before dinner each night)
·      Being in a little town in the mountains, because it makes me think of being home in Stuarts Draft
·      Having a Pooh bear quilt in my room

·      Visiting a coffee plantation, tasting a sweet red coffee bean, and drinking freshly-grinded coffee (I think I have drunk more coffee in the last two weeks than in my whole life)
·      Hiking up to Volcán Poas
·      Standing under waterfalls, seeing monkeys, butterflies, jaguars, toucans, and more at La Paz


·      Touring local farms (and getting a free sample of the juiciest strawberry I’ve ever tasted)
·      Getting to know the children in the community, who love to laugh, tickle, and hug, and show love in endless ways
Gabi's 16th birthday part at school
·      Playing soccer in the gym with the kids after school 
·      “Sledding:” riding down a hill in a plastic trash can with Michell (even though my jeans are still stained with dirt)

·      Speaking Spanish (although this should probably be on the “lowlight reel list” too, since I can be pretty awkward sometimes)
·      Having time to read and write, to be in creation, and to be in fellowship

A little stream by the coffee plantation
·      Looking out the window to an incredible view of rolling mountains, a volcano, or endless hills of wild plants
·      Feeling needed and called and loved by the Lord and altogether surrounded by His presence

No comments:

Post a Comment