Saturday, July 30, 2011

Thoughts on language

I have never considered myself much of a Bible reader, probably because I feel like I ought to be and it then becomes a sort of task in my mind.  So I end up running from it.  Sometime recently, I realized that the Bible is the best sort of literature in that it is lovely and uplifting and full of truth.  I have spent many days this summer fumbling around in a language that isn't my own, one that comes off of my tongue awkward and heavy and usually not quite how I want it to.  I have fully appreciated how God blessed us with words and with the goodness of language to express how much he loves us.  And as I write this, I am just beginning to understand that although he sometimes uses language to speak to us and so we may speak to each other,  he also takes it away so that he may speak through us in the silence.   All of this to say, that I wanted to share some of the verses through which God has spoken to me this summer when things got tough.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul."

-Psalm 23:1-3

"We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." -Romans 5:3-5

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." -Hebrews 12:1

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." -Matthew 28:20

No comments:

Post a Comment