Saturday, July 23, 2011

Lists


With less than two weeks to go, I think I am ready to go home.  I think the weather (something like Blacksburg in early November) has worn me down, and my latest project of starting a bilingual community newspaper, although exciting, has drained most of my energy.  So I thought I would take a moment to list the things that I will miss most and the things I am most looking forward to

What I will love about being home:
·      Milkshakes
·      Showers with steady heat
·      Being warm
·      A dryer instead of a clothesline
·      Seeing the stars at night (it’s too cloudy here most nights)
·      Hamburgers, Chik-Fil-A, lemonade
·      Smooth roads and driving again
·      Going barefoot and wearing shorts

And the things I will miss:
·      People I work with and who have been a sort of family
·      The kids at school who have become some of my dearest friends
·      Speaking in Spanish
·      Watching “Doug” (everyone’s favorite childhood show) with housemates
·      The Pooh Bear blanket on my bed
·      All of the green scenery
·      Seeing Poás Volcano from the window every morning
·      Watching the two kittens romp around and pounce on each other
·      Kiku and Ashes, the two puppies
·      The faithfulness and the whole-hearted worship of the church
·      People who have brought me into their homes and fed me
·      The home-made bread
·      Being a part of an organization that works tirelessly
·      Living simply

After making these two lists, I’m a little surprised to realize how many things that I will miss about this place.  And I’m also surprised that the first list is mostly full of small comforts and satisfactions – first world luxuries.  I know being home will make me think about my own richness and the richness of my country and although I feel ready to reflect on all of this, I am also afraid to face it.

2 comments:

  1. Ummmmm...........excuse me, but I don't see my name listed in the things you miss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That goes without saying :)

    ReplyDelete